research interests :
Realityarts - Creativity for Change, Seeks to engage,
encourage and inspire individuals in the use of art and creativity and
bring about change in their health, impacting and connecting communities
with intergenerational arts projects.
At Realityarts we are passionate about creativity. Our aim is to look
at ways in which we can enhance the creative process in every area of
our lives, more specifically our health. We believe that the creative
process is at the very heart of our being and can take place any and every
where and that it is not only something that ‘people in the arts’
do but can be undertaken within any field of work by all.
Massage therapy is used and has also been shown to improve the health
and mental-wellbeing of an individual.
My current project looks at the use of Art, Creativity and Massage Therapy
with the elderly with dementia. Older adults with dementia experience
a better quality of life when they participate in the arts, we have found
that participants in the arts groups:
Importance of the Intergenerational art:
- experienced elevated mood;
- show an increased level of concentration;
- showed an increase in the level of independent functioning, where normally
decline would have been expected;
- did better on scales for depression, loneliness, and morale;
- showed improved memory function;
- The arts contribute to communicating, building a sense of identity,
and strengthening social networks in communities.
- The arts help create elder-friendly communities in which older adults
are able to thrive and function regardless of their ability.
Web links :
- Compare and learn from practices in art and creativity in USA and Europe
used to treat dementia, look at how the learning can be brought back and
used in UK health settings
- Look at tools used to monitor the effectiveness and how they compare with
- Evaluate and develop tools to enable carers to carry out their roles using
- Sundays 8-9am (The Good News Show - 103.6fm
email : Amanda@realityarts.co.uk
back to list